Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Random Thoughts...

"How To Understand Women"....Volume 1/237468294236497368326459835763478563478

Sorry I had to ;) 


I've been thinking about it and decided that it's been a good while since I've written an actual post. You know one with actual words, sentences, and paragraphs? Anyway my birthday is fast approaching (really? Already? Where did the year go?!) In many ways this has been a very long year, but in other ways this year has flown by super fast. As I am fast approaching 19 and then 20 next year I find myself left with a sense of...well honestly I can't explain it and I don't know why. More importantly I want to know why I absolutely love Fun-Yuns but I absolutely HATE onions. 

But I digress...(always wanted to use that :)

I guess the feeling I'm left with is somewhat bittersweet. I look back at the last 6,935 days of my life (give or take)...a 4th or so of my life gone. Time keeps pushing me forward, it's like the hour glass is glued to the table...and no one can find the rewind button now. Sorry :)

But seriously I guess it just reminds me that life is a vapor. Everyone ages, everyone dies. My strength will eventually fail, my mind will fade, my body will breakdown. Perhaps it's silly to think of such things at 19. However if I were a bettin' man I would be willing to bet that many people think of such things as they age. Whether they are 19, 21, 30, 40, 60, or 80 I think everyone comes to a realization at some point. I believe even people who are stout atheists will wonder at some point..."What does come after this?" It amazes me that men in their 80s and 90s will still war against God, it shows the wickedness of man doesn't it? 

Am I scared? Absolutely not. I am so excited to see what God is going to do in my life. I cannot wait to have another 20 or 30 years of experience, wisdom, and sanctification on me. I look forward in confidence, not because of my own strength or will power, but because of my sovereign God. I know that on my own I will fail miserably at life in anything I do if I don't rely on Him. 

Some advise to guys who are a few years behind me?
If you are given a chance to work save every penny you get, and if you do spend any money spend it wisely. Marriage is probably not even on your radar right now if you're 14,15,16,17 or so. But it will sneak up you faster than you think. Even if you don't get married until you are in your mid 20s it will still sneak up on you if you are not preparing now. If you plan to stay debt free you are going to need a lot of savings. 

Next...really work on your character and your relationship with God. You need to form a character and relationship that is unaided by your parents. That's not to say that you disregard your parents. But it means that if you went out and lived on your own you could stand on your own in integrity and in relationship with God. If your spiritual life is mainly dependent on your parents you will fall flat on your face if you move out on your own or if you get married. 

I give this advise because these are things that I failed to do at 16 or so and I had to play catch up. I'm still working on some of these things and many others (we will always be working on things) I am so far from where I need to be, but I have come so far. I am confident that God will continue to form me to His image. Sometimes I take 2 steps forward and 4 steps back and then 5 steps forward. Sometimes the growth is stunted, sometimes it's even set back for a time but it is always moving forward into the image of Christ. 

That's all for today folks.

Sorry no Picture A Day today.

We are finished with the ridge pole so now we are working on prepping the 4x12s for the rafters and joists. This means sanding, planning, and staining. This should be a pretty easy task but we could use help to get it done faster. Maybe you wouldn't feel comfortable hanging 30ft up in the air setting a 2500-3000 lb log, but maybe you could stain a 4x12? Maybe? Don't worry all who come out and help will be rewarded handsomely with life lessons and the satisfaction of a job well done ;)
But seriously...Thanks so much to everyone who has come out to help us so far. I have really enjoyed working alongside all of you who have come out to help. May God bless all of you. We seriously would not be where we are today without the help that we have received.  
   





            

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to stain a 4x12 or two, as long as you don't make me do it 30 feet up!
    Really, that was an excellent post, Blane.
    Sounds like all that reformed/integrated/biblically-functioning/emphasis-
    on-men-leading-in-the-home churchin' has done a lot of good.

    You Know Who! B)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Sunny this time....
    I just had to say, that last picture made me laugh out loud!
    Very good post too...rather *thoughtful*. Hmmmm...
    I'm sure you are light-years ahead of most 18, almost-19, year olds. God can get a lot of work done when we just cooperate. (I'm not sure you won't have something to say about that theology)

    ReplyDelete

emerginglurch.jpg