Pages

Monday, July 25, 2011

The Christian Book Store

Wow it's been a long time since I've been to the Christian book store. I went to try to find some tracts that I could use this weekend at Belle Chere. I am sad to say that out of the dozens and dozens of tracts that they had, there was not one that I could use. There was one written by John Piper that was good and I could have used but I didn't really like how it was written. The rest were movie themed tracts, "meet my best friend" tracts, and many others that I literally could not in good consience hand out to people. I read one and it talked about how God is always there for us, God loves everyone, it talked about accepting God, and towards the end it talked about how Jesus died for our sins. It did not explain sin or why we need forgivness for those sins. At the end it led the person in a generic prayer and then told them that they now have a friend who loves them and is always there for them. The book section was much worse. 

Ok maybe you're thinking "Blane, stop being a nit-picky jerk!" What's wrong with that tract? The problem is that it presents an incomplete and unclear Gospel. It does not explain that God is holy and just and that he must punish sin. It does not explain that you will go to hell if you do not have your sins forgiven. It does not explain that you must repent and trust in Jesus to have your sins forgiven. If someone doesn't understand these basic things they cannot be saved. And if they respond to the Gospel that this tract presents they will become a false convert. This is not loving.  

These are the only good books I could find. This was at the end of the "discounted books that no one likes" aisle. I bought Counterfeit Gospels by Trevin Wax. He was at the Psalm 119 conference that I went to earlier this year and he was really good. I'll admit that there was a few copies of books by Johnny Mac and a few other solid authors but it was very disheartening that these books were right next to the many copies of T. D. Jake's book.

I hate to have to say this but please use discernment when you go to your local Christian bookstore.  


Just call me Mr Nit-Picky B-)   









No comments:

Post a Comment

emerginglurch.jpg