Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

"Don't Be More Gospel Centered Than Jesus"

Whether you like it or not you are in a movement right now. Don't go to a church? Then you're in the Churchless movement. Or maybe in the seeker movement, or the hipster movement.

One movement that is big right now, and I believe is a work of the spirit is the Gospel Centered movement.
  Every movement including the reformation, the great awakenings, the Puritan movement have all had their problems and areas where they got it wrong. The Christian life seems to be that of a pendulum. In the early 19s a cold intellectualism blew over Protestantism that had once been vibrant and balanced and much of the church became cold and dead. Slowly the pendulum began to swing back and sometime around the 60s people began to reject doctrine and the use of intellect for a more "real" and experiential feelings based Christianity. Although these people spotted and defined a problem in the church their reaction went too far.

   Being in the Gospel Centered movement myself I have been apt to keep an eye out for the pendulum swing that may go too far. I thought this was a very good critique of the movement...enjoy.


Don't Be More Gospel-Centered Than Jesus from The Gospel Coalition on Vimeo.


While I was over at Trevin Wax's blog I saw an interesting post.

Did you know that Teddy Roosevelt survived an assassination attempt?

He was campaigning in Milwaukee when he was shot in the chest. Despite having a bloody shirt and the bullet still lodged in his chest he delivered an 80 minute speech that started like this:

“Friends, I shall ask you to be as quiet as possible. I don’t know whether you fully understand that I have just been shot; but it takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose. But fortunately I had my manuscript, so you see I was going to make a long speech, and there is a bullet — there is where the bullet went through — and it probably saved me from it going into my heart. The bullet is in me now, so that I cannot make a very long speech, but I will try my best.”


Wow! Kinda makes today's presidents seem a little...wanting? At the least?


Here are some pics 





No comments:

Post a Comment

emerginglurch.jpg