Pages

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My Thoughts On Killing Trees And Things


There are people in West Asheville who believe that trees have feelings and it hurts them when people cut them down. Yes my friends I know it's hard to believe. So needless to say when I walk down Haywood Rd. in W. Asheville with my "winning the war against tree's" tee shirt along with my Certified Log Home Builder jacket I get some mean looks and second glances.

Although I don't think it would be worth my time and effort to explain myself to these people or argue with them, I thought I would share my thoughts on killing tree's and things. If you have read my other blogs you would know that it does not bother me to kill and eat another animal. But what about trees? I mean after all they are living organisms, and what did they do to us besides provide us with oxygen, and homes for all the cute little birds and squirrels. Genesis 1:11 says that God created the trees thus making them his. So what gives us the right to cut down trees and use them to build homes or make paper, ect. Genesis 2:16 says And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, "You may surely eat of every tree of the garden". We see God giving man permission to eat the fruit of the trees. It would not have been right had God not told them it was right, it would have been stealing. In Genesis 1:28 we are told to subdue the earth and take dominion over it.

Everything God does is right, that is not to say that there is some moral code or some idea of rightness that is above God that he must always follow. Everything God does is right because he does it. What right had the Israelites to destroy whole towns and villages even sometimes down to the women and children? None except that God commanded them to, without God's command it would have been a greedy act of self preservation. What right had Moses to go before Pharaoh and demand that the Israelites be set free? What right does a husband have to expect his wife to submit to him? I could go on and on but the point is that all goodness and rightness is summed up in God.

This is why we are able to eat all plants and animals, and why we are able to use trees for our own purposes. We cannot do this because that's just the way things have always been, or because we are at the top of the food chain (although we are). We can only do this because God allowed it.

I do believe we should respect what God has made, I don't believe in torturing animals or purposefully injuring them to watch them suffer. This would be an abuse of the responsibility God gave us.

Well these are my thoughts on these matters for what they are worth.

1 comment:

  1. Winning the war against TREES?! That is hi-larious!!! Since I still live in West Asheville, not sure if I am allowed, by law, to own one... I will have to look that one up. Of course, since I shop in Candler, I could wear it then...

    ReplyDelete

emerginglurch.jpg